BY MARK RABAGO
Saipan Correspondent
CAPITOL HILL, Saipan — Lt. Gov. Dennis James “DJ” Mendiola, of the Northern Mariana Islands, has been charged alongside two other public officials in connection with the alleged misuse of government funds and vehicles in 2022. The recently sworn in lieutenant governor has released a statement saying the charges "are without merit."
The Office of the Attorney General filed the six-count complaint this week against Mendiola, Justin Mizutani, and Joey Dela Cruz. The charges range from misconduct in public office to theft, with some offenses carrying penalties of up to 10 years in prison and fines as high as $50,000.
According to court filings, Mendiola — who in 2022 was serving as special assistant of the Homeland Security and Emergency Management office — allegedly ordered the transport of private and rental vehicles on government-chartered vessels, incurring thousands of dollars in costs to the Commonwealth. He and Mizutani, then a Department of Fire and Emergency Services lieutenant detailed to Homeland Security, are also accused of unlawfully taking a rental vehicle valued at more than US$20,000.
In addition, prosecutors allege Mendiola and Dela Cruz, who later became acting special assistant, accumulated tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid rental charges to a Saipan-based car rental company by authorizing the use of vehicles without budgetary authority or payment. The outstanding debts to the government are said to exceed $80,000.
The lieutenant governor’s office released a statement acknowledging the charges filed in the Superior Court. The lieutenant governor maintains his innocence and intends to address these allegations through the proper legal process, according to the statement.
“The allegations against me are without merit,” Mendiola said. “I will contest these charges, and I am confident that the facts will demonstrate my innocence.”
Mendiola affirmed his commitment to his responsibilities as an elected official.
“These proceedings will not deter me from carrying out the duties of my office. I remain steadfast in serving the people of the Commonwealth with dedication and integrity,” Mendiola said.
The office, according to the statement, “emphasizes that the matter is now before the court and will be resolved in accordance with the rule of law.”
NMI Gov. David M. Apatang also issued a brief statement saying his administration “recognizes and respects the rule of law” and would leave the matter to the courts.
“Due process must be afforded. Rest assured that the priorities and work of this administration will not be interrupted in order to provide essential public services,” Apatang said.
The case was filed by Attorney General Edward Manibusan, with assistant attorney general Olga Kelley signing the complaint on Aug. 21.
Apatang and Mendiola were sworn in just last month to their respective positions following the sudden death of Gov. Arnold I. Palacios. Prior to that Mendiola was serving as the President of the Senate for the 24th Commonwealth Legislature. (See story: Apatang, Mendiola sworn in as NMI governor and lieutenant governor) mbj